Gary Corbin – Playwright
Gary Corbin is an award-winning playwright with over a dozen productions of his full-length, one-act, and ten-minute plays in the Portland area. Productions include include “Happy Anniversary” at Serendipity Players, “PS, I Love Your Daughter” at North End Players and CoHo Theater in Portland, “Mama vs. The Mob” at Magenta Theater and “Murder at the Barracks” at Ft. Vancouver, WA, as well as Fertile Ground productions of “Family Hardware,” “KleptoFamilia,” and “The Exes,” among others.
In addition to his own scripts, Gary writes, ghost-writes, and edits scripts. He specializes in tight, realistic dialogue involving sharply drawn, interesting characters in complex relationships.
Recent Performances of Gary’s Plays
This year’s Fertile Ground Festival of New Works featured three of Gary’s new works, with a total of seven performances across five evenings:
- Two new short plays, “Prefacing” and “Building Blocks,” enjoyed fully staged performances as part of PDX Playwrights‘ “Daisy Dukes Shorts Night” on Friday, January 22 and Saturday, January 23, both at Hipbone Studios, directed by Dave Roberts.
- His new full length comedy, “Family Hardware,” was stage read with full blocking and minimal sets and props on three evenings at Hipbone Studios, directed by Dorinda Toner and starring Jonathan Wexler, Laurie Campbell-Leslie, Mark Putnam, Maria Aust Randall, Jo Strom Lane, and Nick Serrone. Performances were Sunday, January 24 and Sunday, January 31, both at 6 PM, and Friday, January 29 at 7 PM.
Until it’s performed, it’s not yet a play – it ‘s just a script.
Gary believes that a play will be most successful when the creative talents of the playwright are joined with those of the director, actors, producer and tech crew. Each needs the creative freedom to contribute depth to the characters, environment and relationships envisioned in the play. Gary is happiest when he can hand the script off to a dynamic team capable of staging a production without interference substantial oversight from the playwright.
- Would you like to perform or produce one of Gary’s scripts?
- Do you need a script developed?
- Do you need assistance with your script?
Check out some of these scripts: